Lansing Built to Last is a local startup competition for entrepreneurs and idea-makers.
Submit your business proposal for the opportunity to win a year’s worth of services, plus commercial space to launch your business in Greater Lansing, Michigan. Yep, it’s a big deal, and a big prize package.
The first prize winner will recieve one year of free rent in the Greater Lansing area, courtesy of Eyde Development. Plus, a suite of wrap-around services from experts across the region who will support the new business during that critical first year.
The first runner up will recieve a year of retail space in Middle Village Micro Market in Downtown Lansing, which includes business coaching and support services.
Are you ready?
Who and Why
Lansing Built to Last was dreamt up by a collection of local sponsor organizations that want to strengthen Greater Lansing—especially for when times get tough. We want to find businesses that bring people together and promote positive community development. That’s why we pooled together our ideas and resources to award the winning business a suite of crucial services to get them up and running through their first year of operation.
- Support through marketing and mentorship
- Support through judging
- Support through judging and free membership
- Travel or voucher
- Waiver and support navigating startup
- Communications and startup support
- Transportation to the airport
- Support through judging, IT support up to $1,000
- Support through judging and advertising and Middle Market location for runner up
- Support through judging and office space
- Support through judging and funds for winner
- Free membership
- Support through judging and mentorship
- Support through judging and Publicity and support needed, waived membership
- Support through judging and start up support
- Support through judging
- Support through judging and desk drawer fund
- Support through judging and advertising to MSU students
- Support through judging and insurance sponsor
- Support through judging and website/brand
- Support through judging and video segment creation
- Support through judging and membership
- Support through judging and legal advice
- Media communications and business advertising support
So, what is in the bag?
First place of the Lansing Built to Last will receive a location in Greater Lansing with a full year of business services and expenses. First runner-up will get space in Downtown Lansing's Middle Village Micro Market.
The First Place winner receives:
- Free rent
- Physical renovation budget
- Free energy efficiency consulting
- Free legal counsel
- Free business banking and financial services
- Free branding, and website consultation services
- Free IT support
- Free publicity support
The winner will also receive $500 to be used for business insurance or whatever expense they see fit.
Location, Location, Location
The First Place winner will work in consultation with Eyde Development to find the just-right space for their new business in the Greater Lansing, Michigan area. Office space? Commercial? Retail storefront? Possibilities abound.
Applications have to describe a business that:
- Is brand new or a business that has been established for two years or less
- Contributes to the economic development of the Greater Lansing area
- Requires a physical commercial location
These criteria should be demonstrated by:
- After 5pm sustainable
- Weekend attraction
- Greater Lansing presence
- Employs Lansing residents
- Business plan ready by June 2023
In a nutshell, this competition is designed to spark entrepreneurial action in the Greater Lansing community and reward those who present detailed plans on creating a new business enterprise. The business plans have to propose a venture that will be lawful, financially profitable, and create new Lansing jobs.
Anatomy of the competition
participants will submit an electronic Intent to Compete Form, including a business proposal, for their new venture idea.
the electronic business plan—max. 20 pages of text and additional max. 10 pages of appendices— to be submitted. The Top Five business plans will be selected by Friday, April 14, 2023. Pitches will be recorded at Techsmith during the week of April 24, 2023.
contestants will present their business plans in a livestream for up to 10 minutes with five minutes for Q&A with the panel of sponsors. The winner will be selected at the end of this live virtual event.
Who Is Eligible?
- Competition open to all Michigan residents.
- Competition open to individuals and teams.
- Applicants under the age of 18 must be part of a team with at least one member who is 18 or older.
- An individual or team can submit only one entry.
- An individual cannot be a member of more than one team.
- An individual cannot submit individually while also part of a team.
- Students are encouraged to apply.